Below are some basic tattoo aftercare instructions. Keep in mind that the less you do to your tattoo, the better it will heal.
- When you get home: Remove bandage within 1-3 hours after getting your tattoo. Do not re-bandage.
- Wash your tattoo with a gentle soap such as Dove or Cetaphil. Be gentle, do not use a washcloth or anything that will exfoliate your tattoo. Only use your hands.
- Let your tattoo air out for about 24 hours
- After the first day: Rub a small amount of light lotion (free of dyes such as Curel Original Formula) onto your tattoo. Do not use greasy products such as Vaseline, petroleum or Aquaphor.
- On the 3rd or 4th day your tattoo will begin to peel. This is normal! Do not pick at the skin.
- Do not pick, scratch, peel, slap, rub or irritate your tattoo.
- Tenderness, redness, and mild swelling is normal. However, if you see signs of infection such as red streaks extending from the affected area, pus drainage, or you experience a fever, please seek medical attention.
- You can shower, but you may not soak your tattoo for a week. No swimming, soaking or hot tubs.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure and cover up your tattoos or apply sunblock if you will be in the sun
- Do not wear abrasive materials, jewelry, or shoes that rub against your tattoo. Do not let anyone touch your tattoo, unless they wash their hands.
- Drink plenty of water to keep hydrated and reduce swelling
- Get plenty of rest
You can also
- Ice your tattoo to reduce swelling.
- Elevate your tattoo, to reduce swelling.
- Use ibuprofen to reduce swelling
If you have any questions about your tattoo or the healing process, please call the shop or contact your artist directly.